Re: [SLUG] Bear & Fish & SSH

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 12:32:37 EDT

On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 11:50 -0400, SOTL wrote:
> On Thursday 14 April 2005 08:13, Logan Tygart wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > How does one open a terminal in Bear?
> >
> > I have no idea which GUI you are using, so we'll by pass it.
> >
> > Hit Ctrl+Alt+F1 and login to the CLI. Type the command there and then
> > hit Ctrl+Alt+F7 to return to your GUI.
> >
> > The Logan
>
> I hate to be dumb but how is that different than opening a terminal under a
> GUI?
>
> I opened Kterminal and typed the command there and sshd is running.
>
> Now if I understand what you are saying by under Bear that would mean to me
> that Bear is open and you initiate a terminal by means of a command in Bear
> which opens some particular terminal specific to Bear.
>
> PS I normally run KDE as I don't particularly like Gnome but I do have Gnome
> operational and do on occasions use it.
>
> Frank

Frank,

I'm pretty sure he thinks "Fish" & "Bear" is the name of your machine,
not a protocol or program.

i.e.

fish://localhost/
fish://root@localhost/tmp/
fish://user@localhost/home/user

That's the confusion. I know that fish is a SSH client for VMS
(http://www.free.lp.se/fish/).....but do you mean kbear?? I've never
heard of just "bear".

beware that fish seems to use ssh1 (older less secure version) and has
been discontinued since jan of 2002. The site says that the replacement
project is bamse.

Mike Branda Jr.