[SLUG] Verizon DSL, IP address renewal

From: Donald E Haselwood (dhaselwood@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Apr 15 2005 - 21:54:57 EDT

Do you know what happens when Verizon changes ones' DSL address? (It seems
like about a month ago something changed).

Lately, I can't access the internet via my Linksys wrt54g router (running
Satori 4_0). I cycle the power on the router then it works. After a couple
times, I noticed that when the router came back up the IP address assigned
from Verizon had changed.

Suspecting that the "3rd party" software in the router might be part of the
problem, I swapped it with a brand new wrt54g. When it came up, no IP
address was assigned. I didn't wait too long (maybe 5 minutes, since wife
and daughter were grumbling), so maybe with time (i.e. hours) it would have
gotten an assignment. Yet when I plugged the old router back in, the IP
assignment was there "instantly."

It suggests that Verizon must have a file of mac v IP addresses so when the
router reboots the IP address assignment ready, but if a new mac appears it
takes a while to find an available address. Just a guess. I wondered if
anybody knew how it works.

Regards,
Don