Re: [SLUG] Mounting NTFS Drives

From: Veit Schopper (veit@urxn.org)
Date: Mon Apr 18 2005 - 10:26:00 EDT

Am Montag 18 April 2005 15:36 schrieb Christopher Hotchkiss:
> On 4/18/05, Veit Schopper <veit@urxn.org> wrote:
> > there you get rpm packages for fedora =>
> > http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/
> > it's "not" a problem to read a ntfs partition, but it's not "possible" to
> > write a ntfs partition. on this webside you will find some nice infos how
> > solve this problem, but be carefull ! this are only workarounds.
> >
> > regards
> > /*v*/
> > Not to sound rude but that is slightly incorrect. If you use the
> > CaptiveNTFS drviers as found on a knoppix cd, you can read and write ntfs
> > with no problems, other than a lack of speed. Other wise you can use
> > mount a ntfs drive by giving a mount command under any 2.6 kernel.

sorry, i don't want to sound rude, that's my bad english ;-), sorry.
yes you are right, i was a little bit to overhasty with my answer. you wrote
that you install fedora. fedora comes out of the box without ntfs support. i
just read the homepage of CaptiveNTFS and it sounds (except, that it uses the
microsoft driver ;-)) very nice and i am interrested if the write support
works fine. sadly i cann't test it here :-(.
i installed the kernel-ntfs support on a (friends) fedora box 2 weeks ago, to
migrate the ntfs data to a ext partition and it worked fine. but i only
needed the read support.
if tested it, please write, if you had problems.

regards /*v*/

--
Veit Schopper
Leidesdorfg. 11-13/2/6

Tel.: ++43/676/3987765 PGP/GPG Key ID: 0x22395FF3

-- The truth is out there! Does anyone know the URL? --