Re: [SLUG] what to think about the next ver

From: John Pugh (jpugh@NOVELL.COM)
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 06:44:44 EDT

>>> bobpat@earthlink.net 04/18/05 9:05 pm >>>
> I was rooting around in the shed the other day and found a bag with suse
> version 5 set of CD's in it . I guess I've used it a while huh?
> This is supposedly release day for suse 9.3, but their page says "pre-order";
> hmmm.
> I have never had much luck with updating, and after years of reading
> documentation on screen, I don't need a set of books.
> Does anyone know details about their update version? If it needs to see an
> older version of suse linux that would seem kind of bogus, and I've skipped a
> version anyway. The price seems a bit high for just a set of disks.

If you wait 90 days from ship it will show up on the FTP site if you want it for free. It will start showing up on "free" sites shortly after it's available in stores - my experience.
I've been running the betas for several months and the release candidate for 2-3 weeks and it's MUCH nicer than any others I've seen so far (yea, I'm biased). Based on SLES9 SP1+ code with much better hardware support, includes XEN virtualization, much better wireless support, very simple config for SAMBA, tons of other packages.

Oh yea and YES it has several packages included that support MP3, OGG, etc formats - not sure where that comment came from!

JP