Re: [SLUG] Messaging other users in X

From: Robert Snyder (res03q8w@gte.net)
Date: Sun Apr 24 2005 - 22:53:56 EDT

Sick Twist wrote:

>> From: Christopher Hotchkiss <christopher.hotchkiss@gmail.com>
>> To: slug@nks.net
>> Subject: Re: [SLUG] Messaging other users in X
>> Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 13:03:22 -0400
>>
>> I run KDE3.4 with fast user switching so I can have multiple people
>> signed
>> in at the same time. While doing that I can IM anyone logged in using
>> any
>> service I chose with no problems. (AIM,Yahoo,MSN,IRC,Jabber) I generally
>> have gaim installed to do that. The only problem is the sound and
>> fast user
>> switching dont generally agree. I am sorry if I wasn't clear before.
>>
>> BTW it also works if you are tunneling X11 desktops to other computers.
>> --
>> Christopher Hotchkiss
>> (813)960-9273
>> http://www.post227.org
>

> No, this is not what I'm trying to do. Sorry if my previous posts
> were unclear. I don't want to rely on the internet or other outside
> services (e.g. AIM, Yahoo!, MSN, etc). I'm looking for a graphical
> way for users of the same machine to send each other messages when
> they're logged on simultaneously. There are Unix commands that do
> this on the terminal (talk, write) but they won't work under X. In my
> Gaim to do this if something else doesn't do it already.
>
> -Jonathon

Not sure if this is what you want to do but here it goes. If you can
hunt it down there is a Rendezvous plugin for gaim or was one.
Rendezvous as you might know is the name of apple's zeroconf
networking. It does not require a server running like jabber you just
need to be running Rendezvous complaint clients. and they will be able
to chat with any person on the network with a Rendezvous compatible
client.