Re: [SLUG] Wireless Card Recommendation needed please

From: Tom E. Craddock Jr. (sigtom@sigtom.com)
Date: Mon May 02 2005 - 18:19:52 EDT

Tom E. Craddock Jr. wrote:
> Glenn Meyer wrote:
>
>> David Meyer wrote:

>>> If configuration isn't desired, DO_NOT get the Cisco Aironet...I still
>>> can't get Kismet to work with it.
>>>

>> Thank you, this kind of help is exactly what I need.
>> It's not that I don't want to do the config, I'm just finding it very
>> frustrating on this particular project/laptop & card
>> combination/applications, etc. Too many variables - kernel recompile
>> + card drivers + pcmcia_cs drivers + wireless tools + apps.
>

> I use the proxim orinoco gold 11 b/g PC Card along with the Mad Wifi
> Atheros Drivers from atrpms on FC3, no problems. Got it from
> fab-corp.com up near New Port Richey. If you tell them your using it
> for kismet/war driving, they will give you a discount. Great guys up
> there, can pick anything they have in stock same day (if you want to,
> can always have it shipped), and they take PayPal.
>
> Tom

Let me elaborate some actually, realized it wasnt as informative as it
couldve been. I didnt/dont have to do anything special, at least on FC,
to get these drivers working or to upgrade them when I install a new
kernel. Just installed the correct drivers, kernel modules, modprobed
and set up thru system-config-network (RH GUI to set up network
interfaces). I cant say that you wont need to do any patching to get it
working in Slack...but thats about all Ill say as I dont want to start
any distro wars hehe. I did/do compile new vs of the drivers, so I do
remember getting it all up and running without too much of a hassle and
wasnt using any pkgs, so I would assume it would be that nice/easy on
slack. I just wanted to clarify as I saw that you already have seen
this card any may have been discouraged by what youve heard/seen/read.

FWIW, I also used pkgs to install and use Kismet and Airsnort...and a
few other fun tools as well, and it all works well with my PCMCIA
orinoco card.

Tom