Re: [SLUG] long domain logon from XP to FC3

From: Matt Miller (matt.s.miller@gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 05 2005 - 14:17:46 EDT

Mario Lombardo said:
> A couple of stations are taking up to eight minutes to log into the domain
> from XP pro stations to an FC3 server. I think this may be a Microsoft
> issue, but what should I be looking for? I don't think they're
> synchronizing
> their profiles.

Off the top of my head, I would check these things:

* Network latency - simple pings can help you out here
* Name resolution - make sure that the clients can forward and reverse
lookup the server hostname
* Adjust 'socket options' - edit your smb.conf and play around with the
'socket options = ' parameter, $ man smb.conf for details
* Negotiation - check the interface negotiation with the switch
(half/full/auto/speed)
* Check the logs - run smbd and nmbd in debug mode; tail the appropriate
logs as well as watch the debug output

Matt