Re: [SLUG] suse 9.3

From: Mike Branda (realraccoon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat May 07 2005 - 00:01:37 EDT

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 00:50 -0400, Pete Theisen wrote:
> Bob File wrote:
> > Well I must admit that I am in whiner mode because of a bad cold, but man!, my
> > suse 9.3 upgrade did not go well . . . Not really an upgrade (didn't even
>
> Hi Bob!
>
> I am doing better with gentoo, for heaven's sake, than I did with SuSe.
> The latest MEPIS, however, is much improved and you should give it a spin.
>
> SuSe *write*protected* my hard drive and I had to fdisk and start over.
> I was not pleased. I have the gentoo install to the point of a command
> prompt and it only took a month. In another month I will have KDE working?
>
> Regards,
>
> Pete

Pete,

I believe he was looking for constructive feedback on his installation
woes and not a plug for gentoo or mepis. OS's don't just pop a magical
black tab out of a hard drive an *write protect* them. SuSE didn't do
anything to you. What most likely occurred is 1.) a bad or corrupted
file caused the drive to mount read only (ro) as eben had said. A
simple fsck (file system check/repair) would have probably fixed you
right up. Or 2.)the fstab got hosed which is where the OS gets
instructions on how to mount the drive or 3.) you managed to chmod
(change file permissions) on something important by accident. When I
get a kernel upgrade, somtimes it breaks my X/KDE but not because the OS
and their foul updates did it...it's because I have a custom NVIDIA
driver. IIRC most of your issues are with goofy hardware that obviously
not all linux distro's support. Gentoo works for you and you don't hate
Robin and mepis anymore. Great!! but what does that have to do with
fixing Bob's cd burning issue?? I'm sure he's not going to ditch the
whole distro over that. It can be fixed simple enough with somebody's
proper reply.

Mike Branda Jr.