Re: [SLUG] ifconfig not gettting set

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Sun May 08 2005 - 17:43:47 EDT

On 5/8/05, Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 8 May 2005, Chuck Hast wrote:
>
> > I can do a "/etc/init.d/networking restart" manually and it will restart the
> > network just fine (it was already running just eth0 was hosed).
> > I was thinking about how to get the simlink to call networking restart as it
> > just looks like it is pointing to the file, I guess there must be some way to
> > pass a command to it in order to do a restart...
>
> "service networking restart"? Or maybe "ifdown eth0 && ifup eth0"?

Doing it manually it is just fine, but I am trying to figure out how the symlink
would call networking restart? it is linking to a file, but I do not see how to
cause the link to issue the command. Perhaps i am being dense here...

Here is what the entry from rcS.d for networking looks like
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Aug 30 2004 S40networking
-> ../init.d/networking

I need it to be networking restart. Will the ln command allow you to create a
symlink to a file and add a argument?

--
Chuck Hast
To paraphrase my flight instructor;