Re: [SLUG] long domain logon from XP to FC3

From: James Bennett (jaben55@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue May 10 2005 - 09:43:04 EDT

Hello

I had similar problems with a debian host, If you have port forwarding on a firewall or router somewhere, the arp cache on the windows machine might be the culprit. This especially true when using static IP addresses and XP sp2. Sp1 concluded that there was no problem but has a broken arp cache. so it worked well mostly.

the arp cache had the mac address of the firewall/router not the address of the debian machine with samba. arp times out fairly quickly so it repeated several times during a session. resulting in connect then failure. retry and connect. check mac addresses as listed on the XP box after each failed connect for wrong mac address. (c:\>arp -a) Sp1 cached both and tried the other on failure. sp2 only used first because it fixed problems in arp cache.

See if proxy arp is turned on somewhere in the mix.

Some ciscos enable proxy arp by default

James Bennett

Mike Branda <realraccoon@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 15:42 -0400, Mario Lombardo wrote:
> On Thursday 05 May 2005 13:30, you as Wayne Pollock wrote:
> > > A couple of stations are taking up to eight minutes to log into the
> > > domain from XP pro stations to an FC3 server. I think this may be a
> > > Microsoft issue, but what should I be looking for? I don't think they're
> > > synchronizing their profiles.
> > >
> > > /mario
> >
> > Please ignore if your question is not about using Samba on the FC3 server
> > as a domain controller and CIFS on the XP Pro stations.
> >
> > Sounds like a name lookup timeout. Have your configured WINS? Setup
> > lmhosts? Or are you configured to use DNS for NetBIOS name lookups?
> > If so the DNS server and/or clients may be misconfigured. (You can
> > see those 5+ minute delays with DNS timeouts).
> >
> > If using CIFS, are the clients on the same LAN segment as
> > the server? If not you need to configured a master browser.
> > Note that NetBOIS browsers only syncronize with each other every
> > 15 minutes or so, so it could take a while for a client to
> > notice any changes.
> >
> > Why not examine the log files with tail -f and then have the client
> > make the request as you watch? If nothing happens the request
> > isn't getting to your machine and the problem must be in the
> > network or clients.
> >
> > Hope this helps!
> >
> > -Wayne
>
> I'm replying to this on the list since Wayne has SLUG digest.
>
> Yes, the FC3 server is acting as a domain controller and Samba server. Last I
> checked, the WINS settings on the end stations are correct. We're not using
> DNS for NetBIOS resolution. All of the stations are on the same subnet via a
> layer two switch.
>
> Do I need a master browser when they're logging into the domain controller?
> I'll check out the log files. Good idea about tail'ing it.
>
> /mario

I thought that you had to set the Samba server as the master with some
high election number in the conf to guarantee a win. On a side note,
almost all long network delays I've dealt with involve dns/name
resolution issues. You might wanna bust out ethereal too to analyze the
network conversation.

Mike Branda Jr.