Re: [SLUG] [Asterisk] Any interest in an Asterisk SIG here?

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 02:10:26 EDT

On Wednesday 11 May 2005 12:19, Macy1 Hallock wrote:
> Are there any co-conspirators who might be interested in forming
> a SIG or informal group to learn, install, administer and experiment
> with Asterisk and related VoIP stuff here?
>
> And is this too organized an approach?
> Any comments, suggestions?
> How about any rants, raves or just some narrative about what
> you've done with this technology?
> Or just post some working configuration files?

Well, as someone who's sells Asterisk end to end solutions, I can say this is
a really good technology. Though there already are some six-seven official
asterisk lists under Digium (the developer).

This is the main one for user discussions:

Adding yet another one IS going to reproduce the same questions that has
already been answered there, and none would probably be able to answer them.

It is a fairly complex system, but not too hard once you got the hang of
it. : ) I.e. it's quite logical if you understand a bit of telecom.

But you need to get over that hump.

I have a script which installs, backup, update etc. It cuts down a bit of the
labor of getting it up and running:

http://szmidt.org/asterisk/asterisk-update.sh

You'll need a Digium or Sangoma card to get the timing, or you will need to
build a module to emulate that. I suggest a card.

Sangoma builds superior quality cards, but we are still waiting for the analog
card to come out. Don't bother with the USB cards - absolutely useless!

To get started you should go to the WIKI, it's your friend.
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.