Re: [SLUG] isorm?

From: Macy1 Hallock (macy1@hallock.net)
Date: Wed May 25 2005 - 14:03:21 EDT

Daniel Jarboe wrote:

> I'm about to buy a budget/value desktop to replace a flakey Pentium
> Pro system, and am currently looking at isorm
> (http://www.isorm.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=197
> <http://www.isorm.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=197> minus
> $90 for no OS = $299) which is located on N Florida by Bearss.
>
> Does anyone have any good/bad experience with isorm, or recommend any
> other local tampa stores instead?

Regarding the system you selected:

I'm not a great fan of no-name generic Via based motherboards.
Most tend to be Windows specific in their various drivers and
Linux support by the mfr is usually not available.

I prefer to stick with mbds from Intel, Asus, Tyan or complete IBM systems.
But I've bought a few generic mbd's that had good reviews on the
hardware and linux sites.

That said, many Linux users use inexpensive mbd's with good results.
Chipset and video/ethernet driver support by your chosen distro is the
most critical issue.
The only way you can really confirm compatiblity for generic mbd's is to
try them out.

Reminder: Always buy as much RAM as you can afford up front.
(I've never seen any postings here complaining about performance and too
much RAM.)

The vendor in question is quite close to me and their prices do seem
competitive.
Think I'll visit their storefront with a couple of live CD's in hand for
testing and check out their offerings later this week.