[SLUG] Re: slug] multi cd-rom changer

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Thu May 26 2005 - 23:48:43 EDT

On Thu, 26 May 2005, Ethan Zimmerman wrote:

> Does anyone have any info on multi-cd-rom changers and how they work
> with linux? I had the great idea to get a 50 cd changer so I could
> load it up with music cds and write a program/script to rip them into
> mp3's (or oggs maybe). That way I wouldn't have to spend the whole
> weekend changing cds out one at a time. But i'm having trouble finding
> cd-rom-changers that don't cost thousands of dollars. Any ideas?

NEC made a 3 or 4 disk IDE unit which appeared at a single
channel which I ran under a 1.2.17 kernel, back in the days of
yore -- slow as could be; I wonder if it is still around in
some strata of my 'boneyard'.

Obviously supplemental aftermarket IDE cards exist, to permit
putting perhaps 4 channels x 2 m/s - 1 hard disk for the OS
[so a net of 7 CD drivers] into a maxi-tower case. A trivial
amount of shell scripting to alternate between the ripper, and
the eject command would be needed, and then you could have it
managing the seven CD drives, say from top to bottom, and it
busily chruning away and them moving on to the next ready
unit. You may even be able to rip in parallel.

Easy enough to put a webbish control interface on top of that
with color coding, so that a neighborhood 12 year old could be
commissioned to 'click the matching red button' when the young
assistant loaded an open tray; close the drive door with eject
and stage it to green when waiting for its turn in queue, and
yellow as it is burning.

Encode the ripped content over to ogg's please (xmms plays
them fine, as does my iRiver portible device) -- the
Fankhauser patent is still in effect as to mp3. ;)

- Russ Herrold