Re: [SLUG] multi cd-rom changer

From: Chris Moore (cmoore@washpat.com)
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 08:51:12 EDT

Eric A. Hicks wrote:

> Ethan Zimmerman wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any info on multi-cd-rom changers and how they work
>> with linux? I had the great idea to get a 50 cd changer so I could
>> load it up with music cds and write a program/script to rip them into
>> mp3's (or oggs maybe). That way I wouldn't have to spend the whole
>> weekend changing cds out one at a time. But i'm having trouble finding
>> cd-rom-changers that don't cost thousands of dollars. Any ideas?
>>
>> -ethan
>>

> I think the most you're going to find is somewhere between a 5 and 10
> CD changer. Any more than that and they're expensive, for some
> reason. Back in the day when hard drives were expensive, I had two
> SCSI 8 CD changers by SDI, or SCI, something like that. I mounted
> them each as Netware volumes.. it worked well. Maybe look on eBay,
> might find some cheap.

I use a JVC 100 disc changer at work but I never found any management
software for Linux to work with our model. Usually the jukebox
management software will add another $800 to $2000 in cost to a new or
used disc changer, used ones rarely come with the management software.
Your probably better off using one of the smaller changers where each
disc is loaded into a separate drive and each drive can be mounted
individually.