RE: [SLUG] Linux the free operating system

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 15:58:01 EDT

>> My, my, how times have changed! I remember fwhen Linux was a free
operating system.
>> Look now, and see what Red Hat has wrought.
>> $255 for a Linux system. Pretty soon they will equal Uncle Bill and his
Butterfly.

Ah, but this is a good thing. Really good.

If you want to play with MS Windows Server 2003 and SQL server 2000 for an
extended time (beyond the 120-day eval version), you end up spending a
pretty good chunk of change, and support is extra. I have not upgraded my
Win Server licenses at home, so all my MS stuff is getting dated. It's
tough to pay several grand to upgrade those machines, when they don't
provide any income right now.

On the other hand, I have a couple of Linux servers, running
MySQL/Apache/PHP and ProgreSQL/Apache/PHP, and have been running them for a
year with no fees involved. That's pretty cool. Plus I have all the
development tool. It's only cost me ISP charges and buying of books. This
ability for me to move into Linux at such a small cost is a huge factor in
favor of Linux, and will be more so as time marches on.

We now run a SuSE server at work. As our use of Linux grows, I will need to
add support. I _want_ Red Hat and SuSE (Novell) to make money on this. I
_want_ more support options. That means our little baby has grown up and is
building market share. That means my talent becomes more valuable. All
good.

Ken Elliott
1832 Lombardy Dr.
Clearwater FL 33755
cell 727-698-0276

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/kelliott4/
=====================
My, my, how times have changed! I remember fwhen Linux was a free operating
system. Look now, and see what Red Hat has wrought.

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=
M&Product_Code=210224&AFFIL=TH&NR=1

$255 for a Linux system. Pretty soon they will equal Uncle Bill and his
Butterfly.

Paddy
Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted
are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy
or position of NKS or any of its employees.