RE: [SLUG] Apple shifts to Intel

From: Andrew Barber (tuorum@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jun 12 2005 - 03:23:28 EDT

I may be mistaken, but my understanding was that the
Itanium was not really x86. It is RISC that has a
hardware instruction emulator for x86, which was
proven at one time to be much slower than a similar
speed Pentium.

Andy

http://it.asia1.com.sg/newsdaily/news002_20040119.html
> > Based on the wickedly speedy next-generation
> > processor, the G4 was so powerful that the US
> > government classified the supercomputer as a
> > weapon, restricting its export to 'sensitive'
> > countries which could use it to theoretically
> > design nuclear weapons.
> >
> > I don't recall any single x86 CPU being rated like
> this.
> >
> > If I was in the market for a Mac, I'd still get a
> G4/G5. I would
> > probably get one from the Apple outlet after the
> x86 versions came
> > out, to save a buck and get a more stable system.
> >
> > Though, how much bloat does having binaries
> supporting both
> > architectures incur?
> >
> > Apple's just happy that can get away with having
> another dual-CPU
> > server with one socket;) For those unaware,
> dual-G4's are available as
> > a single-socket unit. Not technically dual-core,
> though, as there are
> > 2 separate CPUs on the "chip".
> >
> > Andrew Barber

> > - This list is provided as an unmoderated internet
> service by
> > Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and
> opinions expressed in
> > messages posted are those of the author and do not
> necessarily reflect
> > the official policy or position of NKS or any of
> its employees.

> > - This list is provided as an unmoderated internet
> service by
> > Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and
> opinions expressed in
> > messages posted are those of the author and do not
> necessarily reflect
> > the official policy or position of NKS or any of
> its employees.
>
> Has anyone noticed no mention of AMD or is it just
> me?
>
> James

> This list is provided as an unmoderated internet
> service by Networked
> Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions
> expressed in messages posted
> are those of the author and do not necessarily
> reflect the official policy
> or position of NKS or any of its employees.

> This list is provided as an unmoderated internet
> service by Networked
> Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions
> expressed in messages
> posted are those of the author and do not
> necessarily reflect the
> official policy or position of NKS or any of its
> employees.

=== message truncated ===