Re: [SLUG] Which Laptop?/

From: Macy1 Hallock (macy1@hallock.net)
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 12:12:38 EDT

paddy wrote:

> Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:
>

>>> I do not wish to start a flame war, but I have had bad experiences
>>> with Sony Vaio AMD. Needless to say that is just my two cents worth.
>>

>> No flames from me. After testing damn near all major brand laptops,
>> VA/OSTG has settled on IBM Thinkpads. They're stodgy and not cheap,
>> but they're the most durable ones we've found.

Disclaimer: Most of us like what's worked well for us in the past.

I am no different.
Based on personal experience, I very much prefer IBM Thinkpads.

(Long post warning... perhaps you'll find this to be of use... or not.)

I've worked with IBM PC's, servers and notebooks for well over 10 years
now.
Both for my own company and earlier when I worked as a sub to IBM and
IBM business partners.

I've found that IBM Thinkpads are excellent all around choices for
performance,
reliability, ease of repair and compatibility. IMO, the only other
notebooks that
are similar would be the Toshiba Satellite and Compaq Armada series.

Roblimo's description of IBM's laptops as stogy is accurate. If you
absolutely
need to have the latest state-of-the-art laptops, you'll probably want
to look
elsewhere. I doubt you'll find one as reliable and easy to service as a
Thinkpad.

My personal preference is the titanium framed T series Thinkpads. This is
IBM's corporate class machine aimed squarely at Fortune 1000 IT dept's,
It's a great combination of lighweight, thin, durable and easy to service.

Many models in this series carry a three year no hassle factory warranty as
a standard feature. This factory warranty fully transferable, you'll
never be
hassled. Given the high cost of notebook repair, I've never had a client
regret having this warranty. If this is important to you, I strongly
suggest you
confirm the three year warranty by model number on the IBM website before
you buy. (Note that you can buy factory warranty extensions for any model
at any time at reasonable cost. I prefer units with the longer term
warranty
embedded from the factory, lower cost and less hassles.)

IBM's R and A series laptops are a great combination of value and
performance,
but they only bear a one year warranty. They are still built better than
most
competing laptops and parts replacement in the field is easier as well.
And IBM publishes their Hardware Maintenance Manuals on line in pdf format.

Hint of the day: Never buy an IBM notebook from IBM direct or most
resellers. I buy most on Ebay from end users. If you get the seven digit
model number off the bottom label, along with the serial number,
you can verify features and warranty on IBM's website. Be sure to
comparison shop and know your model numbers. Sometimes you'll
get extra options included for less than the cost of a new laptop. And
if there's anything wrong, IBM will repair the unit in warranty as long
as it's not abuse or obvious drop damage.

Also: IBM Thinkpad accessories are easy to buy on Ebay, but be sure
to confirm model compatibility. (IBM lists all compatible parts in the
Sales Manual model descriptions on the website.) I've had great results
with third party memory compatibility on IBM Thinkpads as well.

Second hint: IBM's warranty runs from the date of manufacture on the
bottom of the unit or original date of purchase. As long as the unit was
not purchased from IBM direct, IBM warranty entitlement will accept
a faxed "copy" of an invoice from just about any computer dealer as
proof of purchase, as long as it's dated within a year of manufacture.

(I'm told that IBM users have been known to "re manufacture" missing
invoices with good results. FYI, IBM warranty entitlement dept does
not keep serial number info on file by dealer shipment date. they just
want the right piece of paper with the right date, like any good mindless
bureaucracy...)

I just bought a six month old T42 with a 15" hi res screen on Ebay.
It's my sixth personal Thinkpad in 12 years. I have a T21 which has
been my everyday machine for four years sitting next to it here. It's
traveled all over the country with me. I recently had to replace the
keyboard ($22 on Ebay, five minute job) because I used it so much
that I had worn the keys smooth.

I just gave my previous Thinkpad, a six year old 390X w/15' screen,
to my 80 year father, who uses it as an everyday desktop machine.
And I've got another Thinkpad around here someplace. I've also bought
Thinkpads for my entire extended family. All are in daily use.

BTW, I've had excellent results with Red Hat and Fedora compatibility
on every IBM Thinkpad I've owned. The only exception has been
built in winmodem issues and some tweaking of early power mgmt stuff.
IBM strongly supports Linux, and is now publishing Linux drivers for
most of their current Thinkpads. If this is important to you, check the
IBM support site for drivers before buying.

Digression: Not everything made by IBM is perfection. For example
IBM's desktop PC's are not in the same class as the Thinkpads.
They are pretty much run of the mill corporate desktops, not entirely
unlike
Dell or HP.

I prefer IBM's servers, they still very well built and supported, almost as
good as the old HP and Compaq servers, but they're not as clearly
differentiated in todays market as are the Thinkpads. I continue to
use IBM systems mostly because I know how to work well with
IBM's service, support and warrany organizations. (My present
server farm is made up of 3 yr old IBM and Intel branded machines.)

Long post, I know. I hate hardware problems, seen to many.
Thought I share my hard won experience, since others here have
done the same and I'd found it useful.

Disclaimer: This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.
And IBM doesn't pay me anymore. I wish they did. ;-)

--
 Macy Hallock (personal email account) Medina, OH - Lutz, FL
Tel 813-632-2988 Cell 813-493-8899 Email macy1 (at) hallock.net