Re: [SLUG] Samba help

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 14:41:47 EDT

On 6/14/05, Mike Branda <mike@wackyworld.tv> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 11:08 -0400, Branko wrote:
> > Try SWATa front/web interface to the config file ( it helped me to setup
> > a file server on FC2):
> > http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/swat.8.html
> >
> > ./Branko
>

> Word to the wise: Swat works great as a GUI but can really make
> spaghetti out of your smb.conf file (spaghetti not roast duck... :^) ).
> It writes in it's own way to the conf file so if you want to go edit it
> by hand later it makes life difficult.

Yea, tell me about it. I was trying to learn about doing that file and
SWAT just made it worse, it did let me do the job, but when I went
into the file to see what it did, spaghetti was a pretty fit description.

I use Webmin for it and found that it does a nicer job on the file and
also was a bit more intuitive in terms of doing the setup, and after
it was done the file was more readable.

And of course with webmin you get all kinds of other neat stuff you
can admin remotely with it. Bells and whistles... ain't they great?

--
Chuck Hast
To paraphrase my flight instructor;