[SLUG] Pulling hair out...

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 15 2005 - 08:15:45 EDT

Back last year I got some great ideas on logging directly in to a app. Indeed
I have it set up on a machine and has been working just fine.

I am now trying to set up a machine with the same sort of thing and am
having NO luck with it.

When I set it up and direct the login to the app, and attempt to login
the whole process dies as soon as it tried to login.

I have noticed the folloing differences

A who done on working machine.

root@fpac-dev:~# who -u
root tty1 Jun 5 15:34 old 606
root tty2 Jun 6 09:14 old 607
root ttyp0 Jun 15 07:43 . 30426 (192.168.1.202)
fpacuser ttyp0 Jun 15 00:22 . 29902

A who done on the machine that does not work properly

root@fpac:~# who -u
root :0 Jun 15 05:38 ? 451
fpacuser pts/1 Jun 15 07:54 ? 1419
root pts/2 Jun 15 08:12 . 1459
(rrcs-24-129-134-206.se.biz.rr.com)

I notice that on the working machine the tty's are ttyp#
whereas the machine that is not working has them as pts/#

I have checked permissions and ownership all appears to be the same
as one the working machine. I have set the passwd file up in the same
manner, but as soon as you try to complete the login the whole thing
closes shop and goes away.

Any ideas on where else to look?

--
Chuck Hast