Re: [SLUG] Pulling hair out...

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 15 2005 - 14:26:16 EDT

On 6/15/05, Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Chuck Hast wrote:
>
> > Here is a who -u
> > root@fpac:/etc/ax25# who -u
> > fpacuser pts/1 Jun 15 07:54 . 1419
>
> > Below is the "ps axfww | less -S"
> > root@fpac:/etc/ax25# ps axfww
> > PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
> > 254 ? S 0:00 /usr/sbin/sshd
> > 1576 ? S 0:00 \_ sshd: root@pts/1 <---
> > 1578 pts/1 S 0:00 \_ -bash
> > 1652 pts/1 R 0:00 \_ ps axfww
>
> Are these from the same login session?
>
> You also need to mind out what _is_ being run when fpacuser SSHes in ("echo
> $$" etc).

OK, one thing, I am ssh'ing into this machine as it is over in Ft Pierce.
The guy who operates it is not that hot on Linux yet so I am doing all
of this remotely. This is a install of Knoppix AFU which is a amateur
radio distro of Knoppix, he used the save CD and looks like he did it
pretty much the way I did. I ssh in and set up the files and am now
trying to get it setup so that a radio user who has a internet connection
can get into it, and indeed many times the switch op needs to get in
and admin the switch, being able to get directly to the switch app
without having to do anything else is very good, also that keeps people
from being presented with a system prompt and then attempting to do
things they have not reason to do.

I assume that I need to be on a console and when the login to fpacuser
happens I need to do the echo $$... Only thing is as soon as you do
the password it kills the whole thing, there is the one that sets around
as you can see from the 'who -u' but I can not find out anything else
the pid that is shown by the who command appears not to exist.

--
Chuck Hast
To paraphrase my flight instructor;