Re: [SLUG] Pulling hair out...

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jun 15 2005 - 19:13:11 EDT

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Chuck Hast wrote:

> On 6/15/05, Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > See if you can run:
> >
> > ssh fpacuser@that_host what_it's_supposed_to_run
>

> Remember that this login dumps me to a special program that is the front
> end of a ham radio app. I can not execute any linux/unix commands from
> it.

That's OK. Just to test, I ran

ssh localhost ksh

and it ran ksh _instead of_ bash (or exec'ed ksh from bash, don't know
which). If the first, then specifying a program to run overrides what's in
/etc/passwd.

> Of course when I execute the echo $$ from another consol or ssh session I
> get that session PID. But when I do the ps command I can see at least on
> the good machine where things are for the fpacuser.

True, it shows what's running. But the point of the exercise was to find
out what fpacuser is actually getting as a login program (if it's not
immediately obvious). Since you said that he gets kicked off immediately,
that won't work, so I suggested the "run ssh from a console" thing.

"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!" "Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert.