Re: [SLUG] what to think about the next ver

From: John Pugh (jpugh@NOVELL.COM)
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 11:12:01 EDT

>>> mike@wackyworld.tv 04/19/05 10:48 am >>>
> John, I know that's the official statement as far as the FTP release
> goes.....but I swear 9.2 didn't hit the mirrors (or even ftp.suse.com)
> until like 6 months later.  I was impatiently checking... :^)
> I'll probably buy the 9.3 upgrade anyway (only ftp'd 9.2 cause we had
> just purchased 9.1),  but do you know if they've gotten anywhere with
> acpi, sleep/suspend/resume type stuff??  Right now my brand new Dell
> Inspiron notebook stays on when I close the lid.....argh....  Fan speed
> step, battery and temp acpi all work great though.

That's probably true - First...9.2 has only been out 6 mo! - ok...a little longer but only by a month or so. It is "supposed" to hit after 90 days and that will be the date to hold from today for ftp release - make me wrong and I'll beat up mgmt on it (I do have some pull there).

I use a Thinkpad T41 with Novell Linux Desktop, ACPI support works well with a few minor tweaks. Suspend wasn't supported with this release, but it's in there and I have very few problems. In 9.3 that is "supposed" to be much better. HOWEVER, Dell's ACPI support (linux in general really) hasn't been stellar so far in my experience. With 9.2 you will need to mod the /etc/powersave.conf settings to get the suspend support. For laptop lid closure, YAST's power tools usually do the trick, but a mod of /etc/sysconfig/powersave may help there if you've mod'd them manually already.

one suspend trick - shutdown the larger apps (I have a big java app that I run regularly and I have to shut it down) to allow for quicker suspend/resume when you have large amounts of RAM ( I have 2g in this laptop and it helps!).