[SLUG] cdroms missing after SATA installed

From: Dennis McDonald (dmcdon3@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jun 26 2005 - 00:29:30 EDT

Hi,
I just put together a new box with a Maxtor SATA HD, and I dual boot
with XP. Everything installed, but now the DVD-ROM and CD-W are missing.
I put them on IDE0. I appended GRUB but they still don't show up.
/proc/scsi/scsi just shows the Maxtor. I see them in
/proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info and it looks correct. /etc/fstab has
/dev/hda mounting on /media/cdrom, but the rest of the entries don't
look like cdrom ones I'm used to seeing, and /etc/mtab does not have
these in it.
/var/log/dmesg contains something like 'cdrom not found' I can't even
play music
I am going to try moving to IDE1, unless there is an easy way to get
these recognized.
any ideas?
Dennis