Re: [SLUG] atk.pc

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 29 2005 - 07:14:39 EDT

On 6/28/05, Bob Stia <rnr@sanctum.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 June 2005 17:50, Chuck Hast wrote:
> >
> > No, I just want the last stable release which appears to be 2.2.1.1,
> > there is even higher numbered releases (Mike pointed one out) but I
> > am trying to make sure I get one that I have a reasonble idea will
> > work with the exchange server, and my understanding is that 2.2.1.1.
> > has a much higher possibility of doing so than what I had (1.4)
> >
> > > If you want to accept what the distro gives you for packages (that
> > > is, not the latest latest latest), any major distro will probably
> > > do. By "major distro" I mean Fedora/Red Hat, SuSE,
> > > Mandriva/Mandrake, or Debian. (I did not include Slackware because
> > > its "packaging" is not on the same level as the other distros;
> > > Patrick Volkerding does what he wants to do, which often is not
> > > what others think he should do.) Fedora, SuSE and Mandriva probably
> > > are more current than Debian, but Debian edges them out with its
> > > package management tool (like apt-get) and its dependency checking.
> >
> > When I go in to find a the latest for SuSE 9.1 I got Evolution 1.4
> > that is what I had and it would not work with the nasty thing on the
> > far end...
> >
> > > If you want to tinker, then you might as well resign yourself to
> > > some pain along the way.
> >
> > Believe me I have been tinkering, I have been learning how to pull in
> > and compile modules with changes sent to me to test... That was
> > supposed to be the fun part, the Evolution thing I was hoping was
> > going to be aim something at the right package and get it and be done
> > with it so I could concentrate on the radio stuff I have been working
> > with and trying to get bits and pieces of it tested as others modify
> > the code and send it to me. Having broke and fixed the test machine
> > now numerous times, I do have a little bit more of the search and
> > pull package tricks. I indeed have learned a great respect for the
> > Debian tools they may not be as glitzy as the GUI stuff but they sure
> > do WORK!
> >
> > But this is all about learning and that is what I am trying to do, I
> > just was not planning on doing so much of it with the desk top....
> > Ooppps it is raining again, there goes the sceptic tank and the
> > yard... Ohh so much water!!
>
> Chuck,
>
> Just install apt-get for SuSE. It has thousands of packages in it's
> repositories, some stable, some bleeding-edge. You choose what you
> want. 99% of the time if you want to install a package and it has unmet
> dependencies apt will tell you and offer to install them for you.

Ahh, I shall check it out...

> I have been using apt since SuSE 8.0. (several years now) I even used it
> to upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1 and then to 8.2 It is a great tool and it
> is easy to see how the Debian people love it. BUT, SuSE has it too and
> I don't even bother with Yast. My system is updated weekly.
>
> SuSE will also run Red Carpet & Yum.
>
> The latest stable version of Evolution is probably in there somewhere. I
> don't use Gnome and do not have that repository activated. I run KDE
> and love Kmail.

The only reason why I want Evolution is because it will talk to exchange,
I want to get it set up so that it functions like Outlook, then I can show
people at the office that there is a alternative to windows for most day to
day operations. I have already used Evolution with the office mail sysem
as a pop3 client but they want to see if operate like Outlook does with
all of the bells and whistles, so that is where I am headed.

I use Kmail on another machine here at home for my roadrunning account
it is great, so there is no complaint there.

Thank you for the info on apt for SuSE, going to go get it.

--
Chuck Hast
To paraphrase my flight instructor;