Re: [SLUG] internet for my little boy.

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Sat Jul 02 2005 - 19:55:11 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:

>On Sat, Jul 02, 2005 at 07:29:56PM -0400, Mike Branda wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 12:21 -0400, michael hast wrote:
>>

>>> Hey, everybody. I just set up a Knoppix-box in my six-year-old's
>>>room. Needless to say, he's thrilled. I know that there's a bunch of
>>>garbage on the net that is unfit for little eyes, and I don't want to
>>>have to be answering tough questions too soon.
>>>

><snip>
>

>>Well after reading the rebuttal of the rebuttal of the.....ahh
>>whatever... :^)
>>

><snip>
>
>I hate to say all this thrashing about is for naught, but no one has...

<snip>

>...questions and bitter arguments.
>
>Paul

    You are absolutely right. That's why my attempt is to educate along
the way and give him the right foundation to make good choices in the
first place. No amount of technology can substitute that. I simply
can't be with him 24-7, and there will be plenty of opportunities to not
do the right thing. And the questions will come. Sooner or later,
internet or no, he will want to know about this or that. I remember
asking questions about dirty-talk on the playground in elementary. I'm
definately not blind, naive, or jaded; conversely, I am premptively
trying to ease him into exposure so that I don't have to worry so much
about what he's seeing at "Tommy's house" or wherever. I view the
technology simply for what it is-a tool. We all know those who have
this idea that the computer will do it for them or that's what the
computer says, so it must be true. But anyone on this list will agree
that a wrench doesn't fix a car, it only helps you to turn the bolts and
nuts easier than your teeth, and a spatula won't turn the eggs for you,
it will just prevent second-degree burns when USED properly. Similarly,
a computer and the technology therin ie OS, apps, even proxies and
filters are simply tools that when used properly can help us to do a job
better and faster than without. I am only trying to learn how to use
these things responsibly so he can too.