Re: [SLUG] simple suse question

From: Mark Polhamus (meplists@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Jul 04 2005 - 10:59:16 EDT

William Coulter wrote:
> Today I installed SUSE 9.3 and it went smoothly. After the install, I did an update through YAST.
> I thought that it would do the same thing as YUM or up2date but I didn't get the same results.
> Let me explain. For example: I ran YUM with fc3. Firefox 1.0.1 was installed and when I did an
> up2date it installed version 1.0.4. This was great. Now on the other hand, firefox 1.0.1 is
> installed but when I ran YAST, version 1.0.1 was still installed.
>
> What I want to know is, why didn't it upgrade firefox to 1.0.4 and how do I do this?
>
> I have not used SUSE before so I am shooting in the dark here. So, please help.
>
> William

This is also my first attempt at SUSE, so consider this accordingly:

I don't know what I did differently, but after the same basic scenario my SUSE
installation has MozillaFirefox-1.0.4-1.1. From what I can make of the logs
in /var/log/Yast2 looks like it got upgraded the first time I ran YOU (online
update).

I think someone else asked you this, but did you run the yast2 online_update
module (YOU) rather than the install/remove software module? You can invoke
YOU directly from the command line by yast2 'online_update' Another way is
using the "SUSE watcher" panel applet.

Perhaps the server you connect to makes a difference. Mine was automatically
configured to use the server at Texas A&M (http://ops.tamu.edu/suse/).

Another SUSE frustration: When setting servers for install sources (different
from online update -- Yast2/"change source of installation"), the list of SUSE
mirrors on their site doesn't consistently list the correct place in the
directory hierarchy. You need to browse around a bit to find exactly enter
the right path to enter, otherwise you get a very unhelpful error code from
Yast2. I can't find the URL to the web page that describes it, but I think
it's the level with the "media.1" file in it.

-- Mark