[SLUG] Iptables NAT with windows servers (netbios ?)

From: slug@buglecreek.com
Date: Mon Jul 04 2005 - 22:21:58 EDT

Here is the setup I would like to use: I am using a Redhat 3 box to
firewall and nat an internal network with both Windows and Linux
clients. The windows clients need to be able to login and see their
drives on a windows server that is located on another network on the
other side on the Linux box. The natting seems to work find (all
clients can browse the Internet), however when the windows clients log
in and then try to access their drives on the server in the other
network all they see is their local drive. No error is shown during the
login. Is there a way to get this to work through the Linux box? I
have seen people mention to nat everything but the netbios traffic ( not
sure about that). Also, there is the LMHOSTS file, is that a possible
solution? I'm not very familiar with windows, so this is really
challenging me. Hopefully, the diagram below will futher clarify. Also,
it is desired to keep the Windows server in its present location.

202.x.x.x eth0 eth1 192.168.x.x
windows server ----- Linux Box (NAT/Firewall) --------win/linux clients

Thank You