Re: [SLUG] internet for my little boy.

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 13:35:31 EDT

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 11:39 -0400, michael hast wrote:
> Levi Bard wrote:
>
> >My two cents:

> >IMO the PC in the child's room (if you INSIST on putting one there)
> >should either have no internet access or have it on a whitelist-only
> >basis. IOW, EVERYTHING is denied except for sites you've specifically
> >whitelisted - nickjr.com, disney, whatever. If he wants to go outside
> >his whitelist, he can come to the family computer and be supervised.
> >

> That's really what I had in mind in the first place. I don't even know
> where to start on a whitelist access like that. I still like the
> tightvnc thought, too. And, the three machines will land in the same
> room eventually. The sites he usually likes are limited to less than
> ten, and the people that should be sending him email right now are his
> grandparents, my wife and me. How can I set THAT up?

Michael,

Check my previous post for all the grueling details. You can whitelist
and then "http_access deny all" with squid. It also gives you logs of
deny and accept requests. And again, dansGuardian is based on squid to
my knowledge. The e-mail thing is a little more interesting. Probably
procmail with recipes like:

# trusted Family Member rule
:0:
* ^From.*grandmasUniqueAddress
sonsMailbox

# Some rule to delete unknown mail
:0
* ^From.*
/dev/null

Or you could store the mail in a different folder for you to review.

HTH!

Mike Branda Jr.