[SLUG] sound card

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 22:24:06 EDT

I ran into my computer and pulled my sound card (a Soundblaster Live!
variant; discontinued but its manual is here:
http://files.americas.creative.com/manualdn/Manuals/TSD/790/English.pdf)
partway from its slot a few times. :-( It sounds "fuzzy" (distorted) now,
so I'm looking for a replacement card. (Before I buy, I'll try a different
slot, but it acts like the card.) I have a sorta-4.1 speaker setup that
generates the sub's signal from the other signals, as there's no sub
connection to the computer.

I really like the SB's ability to play multiple sounds simultaneously
_without_ ESD. That's a must-have. Ditto for the microphone and line-in
ports.

I kinda like its hardware MIDI rendering (no TiMIDIty). That's an "it'd be
nice, but if that's unobtainable, I'll deal".

Its joystick port is nice, but as I rarely use my joystick (never in the
last few years, for example), I won't be upset if it's gone.

A friend of mine recommended the M-Audio Revolution 5.1:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Revolution51-main.html I found a
web page a few days ago where one person said that all its features were
fully supported under ALSA but that OSS was easier (to use? to set up?).
Unfortunately, I can't find it now. Apparently my Google-fu appears in
waves.

Can anyone recommend a decent card?

LEO:  Now is not a good time to photocopy your butt and staple
it to your boss' face, oh no.  Eat a bucket of tuna-flavored pudding
and wash it down with a gallon of strawberry Quik.  -- Weird Al