Re: [SLUG] Storm Information

From: Mavrick (icebergwaltz@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 08 2005 - 10:12:16 EDT

On 7/8/05, Chuck Hast <wchast@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/8/05, Mavrick <icebergwaltz@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Bill et al,
> > > The NHC has really cleaned up their site and is updating that information
> > > a lot faster than last year. They also have a lot more graphics packages
> > > that give more visual data on percentages with regards to wind and precipt
> > > and percentage of possible deviation from the estimated track center
> > > (they all took a lot of flak over the fact that a lot of people zero in on the
> > > center of track not taking into account that the line is just a average of all
> > > of the possible tracks.
> > >
> > > http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
> > >
> > > Also another site I like is the US Navy site:
> > > http://www.nlmoc.navy.mil/home1.html
> > >
> > > Look under Product Support for Tropical and go there.
> > >
> > > There is a LOT of info on the Navy site that is there for the digging, a lot
> > > more than most people realize, and hey!! those people live on the water
> > > so it is in their best interest to have the best data possible.
> > > --
> > > Chuck Hast
> > > To paraphrase my flight instructor;
> > > "the only dumb question is the one you DID NOT ask resulting in my going
> > > out and having to identify your bits and pieces in the midst of torn
> > > and twisted metal."

> > > This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked
> > > Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages
> > > posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the
> > > official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.
> > >

> > Hey all!!
> >
> > I know this is OT but given the circumstances I believe it to be just
> > as important.
> > While all the sites given above have much to offer, I have found that
> > Weather Underground (www.wunderground.com) has a better presentation
> > of the information at hand. I was just on the NOAA site and they had
> > 3-day forcast info based on the 5am update. Weather Underground's
> > info is based on the 8am update. It is now 8:57am. Normally this
> > wouldn't be too much of a big deal, but these storms can change very
> > suddenly, and 3 hours is a big gap. By the by, Dennis has slowed
> > (forward movement) from 16 mph to 12 mph which significantly changes
> > things as far as forcasting goes.
> >
> > Just my $.02, but check it out. If anything they have some great graphics.
> >
> > http://www.wunderground.com
> >
> > then navigate to the Tropical section.
> >
> > Cheers (and stay dry!)
> >
> > Eric
> >
> Access to the loops and other dynamic stuff cost $$, we already pay for
> it and you can get it off of the gov sites. But to each his own.
>
> Did you go look at the US Navy site? You have to do some digging but
> there is some real good data there.
>
> --
> Chuck Hast
> To paraphrase my flight instructor;
> "the only dumb question is the one you DID NOT ask resulting in my going
> [...]

Hi Chuck!

I'll check out the Navy site. Thanks! I have found that there is no
single site that gives you *ALL* of the info, but that you have to
have a collection of sites to get the full picture, and some have more
to offer than others. Also, all on Weather Underground (as far as I
have seen) is free of charge.

Cheers!

Eric