[SLUG] Anacron vs Cron

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Jul 11 2005 - 12:24:25 EDT

Here's and interesting phenomenon that I wish someone could explain.

I recently upgraded my Debian/Mepis install on my desktop machine. In
the process, a new anacron executable was installed. (FWIW, I never turn
this machine off, so anacron is of questionable value to me.) Part of
cron.daily is a backup script that backs up the majority of this box to
another box on the LAN. Formerly, this backup took about an hour or so.
Once anacron was installed, this backup took 26 hours. I let this happen
for a few days, just to make sure it was not a one-time thing. Then I
moved anacron so that the cron system would fall back on the original
cron program. After that happened, the backup returned to a
less-than-an-hour job.

So the question is: why does anacron take an order of magnitude longer
to do a backup job than cron?

Paul