Re: [SLUG] Crack Attempts

From: Josh Bowers (josh@gargoylesolutions.com)
Date: Fri Jul 15 2005 - 12:00:44 EDT

Steven Buehler wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2005, at 11:26 AM, John Pugh wrote:
>
>> FYI...most of these "attacks" come from already hacked
>> computers so retaliation might be directed towards the wrong people.
>

> The is also the possibility that the attacking computer has a forged IP
> or is doing so through a proxy.

I had these a couple of weeks ago and looked into it. It is probably
someone's rooted box running an SSH brute force cracker.

I don't know how effective it would be to try to contact the ISPs where
these are originating, but it couldn't hurt. However, the attacks will
keep coming so what I did is changed the default port for sshd. That
alone stopped it. To be a little extra safe you can also disable root
logins.

--
Josh Bowers, Web Developer <josh@gargoylesolutions.com>
http://www.gargoylesolutions.com