Re: [SLUG] Something messed up

From: Richard Smoot (rsmoot@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jul 18 2005 - 18:49:40 EDT

>SuSE 9.1 I have had this thing running dual boot for over a year. Last night
>I stuck a Knoppix live cd in and was able to access the HD and look at
>both the Linux partition and the XP partition. As soon as I affired that I
>could get in there I shut it down because the HD is making not good
>sounding noises and I need to keep it alive long enought to be able to
>get it on a machine somewhere and pull all of the stuff off.
>
>I have a machine with a 80G hd somewhere around here, I will get that
>fired up and get both of them on the network and then move the data to
>the 80 G hd.

>I would recommend putting booth drives in the same PC. Make the suspect

drive Slave.
If you don't have SUSE 9.1 on the 80G drive, I would install it. I would
leave the suspect drive disconnected until your Linux is established
and then hook it up and transfer you data directly.
Before you do this, you might try booting the installed os option,
which I know the Suse 9.1 install DVD supports.

                                     Richard Smoot