Re: [SLUG] Son of a dog...

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 21 2005 - 09:29:41 EDT

On 7/21/05, robin <robin@roblimo.com> wrote:

> >Thank you. The fellow that is getting data from me appears to be quite
> >interested in getting to the root of the problem. I am sure that it is going
> >to take a while, but at least there is a desire to work on it.
> >

> This in itself is news. A few years ago the FBI wouldn't investigate
> cracking-type crimes unless there were provable losses of at least
> $10,000, and in busy districts/regions (NYC, Silly Valley) their
> threshold was $50,000 or more.
>
> As you can imagine, Slashdot has had *many* intrusion attempts over the
> years. The response from law enforcement has generally been
> disheartening. It's good to finally see the FBI getting on the ball.
>
> - Robin
>
> PS - I suspect part of this is because more agents now know what
> cracking is. Our first LE call, maybe 7 years ago, was met with a, "What
> do you mean, they tried to break into your system? Did they break the
> locks and burglarize your building?" response.

This agent seems to have it on the ball, he sort of said during the phone call
that he was not real strong in Unix/Linux, but either he is being coached well
or he was just trying to not come on too strong.

But he has really taken a interest, I suspect that the buzzards have come
home to roost in so many places that they more data they can gather on
these activities the better the view that they get. I am assuming that this is
somewhat like weather predictions, the more data points you have the better
your results, so they are trying to get as much as they can in order to get a
better view of things.

--
Chuck Hast
To paraphrase my flight instructor;