Re: [SLUG] Loooooong Beep

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Thu Jul 21 2005 - 19:40:45 EDT

On Thursday 21 July 2005 18:40, Bob Stia wrote:
> Hello Sluggers,
>
> Had a frightening situation today. Powered up my box today and got one
> long continuous beep until I powered it off. Luckily I retried and it
> fired up OK.
>
> BUT, that worries me. What does that event signify? This whole system is
> less than a year old except for hard drives. My wife also told me that
> the lower half of my new lcd monitor also darkened (still readable)
> when she had used it earlier until she shut down a little later.
>
> Bob S.

A long beep is signifying that it did not get past checking... What, depends
on the BIOS. AMI has their codes, IBM theirs and so on.

You can google for "bios beeps" and get the result once you see what kind of
bios you have. AMI gives a continous beep when you have memory or video
problems.

I discovered with my laptop that cheaper displays do just that. Though mine
went dim all over. Just get the LCD replaced.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.