Re: [SLUG] OT: booting Mac]

From: Robert Snyder (res03q8w@gte.net)
Date: Sun Jul 24 2005 - 09:21:28 EDT

Branko wrote:

>Matthew Burke wrote:
>

>>Boot the mac in verbose using Command-V from the time you press the
>>power button until you see text, that might give you a bit more info. If
>>you still have the install disk you can boot with it (insert, reboot and
>>hold the C key) and use Disk Utility to run the "disk first aid" (fsck).
>>
>>Alsl, booting with Command-S will drop you in single user mode
>>

>Well, I tried and tried and tried. The only thing I was getting was a
>folder with alternating Mac-face and a question mark. Booting with OS X
>install Disk and running First Aid did not get far: it was not able to
>"fix" the problem, it suggested to do a clean install. Booting into
>Ubuntu (it did not recognize the mouse, but the Gnome desktop was
>running OK), but I could not mount the HD. Booting into SystemRescueCd
>/PPC ver 0.2.0, did not succeed at all.
>So a quick trip to CompUSA and $100 (ouch) later, the utility was
>checking the hardrive. It was taking a very long time, but it "rebuild
>folder structure" (partition table??).
>Lessons learned (for my sis): "don't force quit while the beach ball is
>turning" (must be Mac speak).
>But I came upon another question: do Mac's use BIOS and how do you
>access it?
>./B

Current macs use not a bios but what is call OpenFirmware to function.
OpenFirmware is nothing more than a crypt command line where you can
type in commands and get feedback back. Nothing like a normal pc
bios. Though the Apple-Intel dev boxes happen to use a bios, which is
upsetting developers as alot of programs used key functions of
openfirmware for there programs. But the short answer is is no bios on
your sisters G4.

"don't force quit while the beach ball is turning"

Translation, Dont Xkill a program while the cursor is an hourglass.