[SLUG] Mandrake Installation Help

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jul 27 2005 - 16:05:01 EDT

Hi All

Sob Story
For some stupid reason or the other I decided several months ago to install
additional programs. Not bad but I was in the office where the computer
connects to the net by wireless. So far so good but the installation of an
additional program resulted in Mandrake grabbing the latest files off the net
instead and doing a partial update. Now we are talking big time upgrade
issues if these programs are KDE and the were. Anyway that broke KDE partly.
Not enough to fix. Mow Mandrake has had a number of issues through the years
with laptops and being to able to connect to the net via more than one
method. My lap top will connect via modem, rathernet, or wireless. It also
has infrared capabilities too. So wanting to transfer file from one box to
another I set up the mode connection. Now we have big time problems as when I
got to work the wireless network refused to work. So I decided the siplest
thing to do to fix the problem would be to upgrade to Mandrake LE. Yes it is
still called Mandrake on the disks. A method which usually solves that
problem. I could have upgraded to 10.1 but I had upgraded one of my desktops
to LE the night before by simply placing the first disk then the second disk
and then the third disk in, sleeping between times and I was finished.
Knowing laptops I should have known better but I did anyway. Well disk one
went OK and disk two followed but 90% through disk three the box froze. Why
who knows but an Hour later it was still froze. Noe with 90% of an upgrade in
certain things are not finished and of course the box will not boot into GUI
mode. It did boot and flip into command line. OK. First I attempted to
reinstall the upgrade but all I could get was an error message that I have
insufficient disk space. See one of the things the final 10% does is clear
out all temporary files so temp files were not cleared. Next thing I did was
boot back to command line as root and clear /tmp of all files and
directories. Done that in the past to free some apace. Next I removed Open
Office. I had OO 1.3 and 1.72 installed. Then I decided to go home so that I
could start removing RPM's of programs I do not use to free enough space to
reinstall the upgrade. Done that in the past and it is a pain in the !@#$%.
Anyway I get home and the blasted laptop boots correctly but I still have an
issue. Upgrade was not finished. There are several programs that do not run
Mozelle being one. Akk this leads to the question.

Question
Does anyone know the directory that the temporary files used in upgrading are
stored in. I need to eliminate them so that I may finish upgrading. Simply
placed I need the e-mail access that set up in Mozelle.

Thanks

Frank