Re: [SLUG] Biased Paranoia Against Open Source (Was Online File Archive)

From: John Pugh (jpugh@NOVELL.COM)
Date: Fri Jul 29 2005 - 12:45:04 EDT

>>> On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 11:26 am, robertsnyder@gmail.com wrote:
> In there defense of my host, Mono is on very shakey ground. Every
> article says that Mono is going to die. We are talking about a
> reverse engineered product.
> Also who cares if microsoft gets sued. It happens everyday

Mono isn't reverse-engineering. It's taking advantage of a open
standard - C# and CLI - to create technology that gives the general
public more options that are more secure at less cost. Mono doesn't just
implement the .NET framework it also includes components like CORBA,
Gtk# bindings, #Ziplib, etc. Mono is simply another implementation of
the .NET developer framework which is based on the same ECMA standards -
coincidentally because M$ submitted it to be a ECMA standard.

Mono is backed by a multi-billion dollar company whose indemnification
program is second to NONE. SLES9 and other non-GPL products that include
technology that runs on Mono fit into this category.

So, to counter your FUD, Mono is not destined to die, it is not a
reverse-engineered technology and the primary supporter of it has the
wherewithal to protect ALL consumers of it not to mention all of the
"other" supporters whose pockets are as deep as M$ and have FAR more
influence than M$ will ever have...

I encourage you to get more educated on it - www.go-mono.com - read the
blogs...check out recent news -
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050727/uktu014.html?.v=20 - but, please get
informed PRIOR to sending unfounded and uneducated claims out into
cyberspace.

As Charles Caleb Colton said - "Silence is foolish if we are wise, but
wise if we are foolish".

JP