Re: [SLUG] Suck it dry

From: Sick Twist (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 02 2005 - 13:40:00 EDT

>From: Chuck Hast <wchast@gmail.com>
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: Re: [SLUG] Suck it dry
>Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 09:29:20 -0400
>
>When I try to copy it over it says I do not have permission to do so, only
>root
>(the samba piece under the Mepis CD is started up under DEMO) I got around
>that by making a symlink between the mount point and /home/demo that
>at least let me look in it, then I went in and did a chmod -R 744 *
>which changed
>some of the files to read only for others, but other files were not
>touched. Not
>sure why, but I guess what I need to do is mount the hd read only for
>others
>besides root.

I think you may need to edit /etc/samba/smb.conf. Here is a working
configuration that I have on my box. It allows read-only access for any
user:

[global]
wins support = yes
workgroup = HOME
security = share

[share_name]
path = /path/to/share
read only = yes
guest only = yes
browseable = yes

Just change share_name to whatever you would like to call the shared
directory and change the path to the directory you would like to access.
Don't forget to restart the SAMBA daemons after you have edited the file.

/etc/init.d/samba restart

-Jonathon