Re: [SLUG] Suck it dry

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Aug 02 2005 - 18:30:16 EDT

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Chuck Hast wrote:

> On 8/2/05, Levi Bard <taktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktak@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Any recommendations, I need to suck all of this stuff off of the HD onto
> > > the new HD and at least Linux will let me get in there (windows just
> > > grins and says 'yea right!'.
> > >
> > > All I want to be able to do is set all on the disk read only for others
> > > besides root so I can start the process of copying it off.
> >
> > Why not copy it first and fix the permissions later? Or am I misunderstanding?
>
> When I try to copy it over it says I do not have permission to do so, only
> root (the samba piece under the Mepis CD is started up under DEMO)

Why is Samba involved? So mean Samba is running as the user "DEMO"
(all-caps username? are you sure?), and only root has permission to do
whatever you're trying to do?

If you have scratch space at least as big as the dying drive, I recommend
something like

cat /dev/hd$OLD_DRIVE > new_drive/old_drive.img

and deal with it later. Less messy to use (but more work to make) is

cat /dev/hd$OLD_DRIVE1 > new_drive/old_drive_p1.img
cat /dev/hd$OLD_DRIVE2 > new_drive/old_drive_p2.img
etc.

That way you have the malfunctioning drive spinning for as short a time as
possible. I've done this through an SSH connection, but it's much easier
and faster to do locally. I don't know what to do with the image(s) under
Windows.

SAGITTARIUS:  All your friends are laughing behind your back... kill
them.  Take down all those naked pictures of Ernest Borgnine you've got
hanging in your den.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_