Re: [SLUG] Suck it dry

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Aug 03 2005 - 12:06:06 EDT

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Mark Polhamus wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
> > On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Chuck Hast wrote:
> >
> >>There is about 15G that I need to move, and I have 33G of free space on the
> >>machine. I was trying to use smb in order to talk to the windows box and try
> >>to move the files to it. I was trying the different live CD's to try
> >>to get the thing
> >>setup.
> >
> > OK. Assuming:
> > - dying machine is "A"
> > - temporary host ("B") runs Linux (a LiveCD is OK as long as you can
> > SSH into it
> > - the free space is on some Linux-writable filesystem
> > - A's Windows partition is /dev/hda1,
> > - which is NOT mounted
> >
> > from A, booted from some LiveCD (you'll be root in both places):
> > ssh -e none B 'cat - > free_space/windows.img' < /dev/hda1
> >
> > I think that since ">" is inside '' it's safe. If not, escape it with "\".
> >
> > When that's done free_space/windows.img is on B. Where do you want it?
>
> Assuming both hosts are on a trusted lan you can avoid the ssh encryption
> overhead by using dd and netcat (nc).

dd is commonly found on LiveCDs. netcat/nc is probably on the excellent
System Rescue CD; how ubiquitous is it otherwise?

> Something like:
>
> temporary host: nc –l –p <port> –w 3 > free_space/windows.img

I assume those "^V"s are really hyphens?

> machine A: dd if=/dev/hda1 | nc <temporary host ip> <port>

Cool, I bet that's faster than SSH.

> (making sure that firewalls don't block the ports involved)

I think I needed to compress my data too (to make it fit?), and I had to
decide whether to do it on the laptop (slower CPU but before the ethernet)
or on the desktop (faster CPU but after the ethernet). I think "on the
desktop" was faster. Of course, that can be done with either nc or ssh.

And we never failed to fail / It was the easiest thing to do -- CSN