Re: [SLUG] vsftpd umask settings

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Aug 08 2005 - 19:31:24 EDT

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005, Russ Wright wrote:

> Hello Sluggers
>
> I just cannot get this right. I have an ftp server running vsftpd.
> There is a group called developers. I would like to have it so that any
> user in the developers group has full rights to files uploaded by any
> member of the developers group.
>
> I know it has to do with the umask setting in the vsftpd.conf file. I
> thought it was supposed to be 022 but that does not work. So what is
> the proper setting?
>
> Yes I read the manual and I still don't understand.

Never tried to do that with an ftpd, but I think you need files uploaded by
members of the "developers" group to have permissions

-???rw???? <anybody>/developers

which implies a umask where the next-to-last digit is either 1 or 0.
Directories should be

d???rwx??? <anybody>/developers

which implies a umask where the next-to-last digit is 0.

("?" = "don't care")

The important thing is that files end up with group read & write permission,
and with the owner's group being "developers". Same for directories, with
the addition of group execute permission.

It's probably undefined if joeblow, member of the group "developers", tries
to read this file:

----rw---- joeblow/developers
 uuugggooo

Permission is denied based on the "user" permissions, but granted based on
the "group" permissions. I'd test that to see what happens.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken