Re: [SLUG] Software Freedom Day - Bradenton

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 12 2005 - 14:53:25 EDT

Joe Brandt wrote:

>Books-A-Million in bradenton is a confirmed "GO" on Sept 10.
>I have contacted numerous distros for giveaways.
>Any volunteers to help contact me.

Sort of sad that I may be the closest thing locally to a "Linux Celeb"
but so it goes. I know Barnes & Noble likes me because 'Point & Click
Linux' has been a big seller for them and they have put in a record
order (sight unseen) for the upcoming 'Point & Click OpenOffice.org' --
I turned the final ms for it in last Friday, so they *will* have it for
Xmas madness, per contract.

I can only be in one place at a time, but if having me make an
"appearance" anywhere might help with publicity, I am willing to drive
from place to place, 1/2 hour or 1 hour per location or whatever is most
useful.

We also need to start getting PR out as soon as locations are confirmed.
I can work on this, but more = merrier. We need to be in Weak Planet
calendar, other event listings, possibly generate some stories in local
media. More calls/faxes/emails to reporters, editors, TV news producers
gives a greater chance of getting ink and pixels. Said contacts should
not all be the same, but should be individual and unique, in each
person's own words. Better to have misspellings than sameness in this
case, same as with letters to pols.

- Robin