Re: [SLUG] when you've got a 64 bit headache...

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Aug 17 2005 - 22:07:10 EDT

http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2005-Feb/3719.html concurs.

> >>How would that slow down his system clock?
> >
> >It wouldn't slow down the actual clock speed, but it could fix the
> >visual symptoms (e.g. clock shows wrong time), while not forcing him
> >to deal with the -noapic breakage.
> >
> Sounds logical. How often would he have to correct?

It depends how accurate it needs to be. If there's another nearby machine
to use (I mean, on the same LAN), what the heck -- once every few seconds.
I believe ntpd "learns" how much the system clock can be expected to be off,
and apply an appropriate clock slew between updates.

Also, if the hardware clock runs at the correct speed (or at least close to
it), consider doing something like

#! /bin/sh
while : ; do
  hwclock --hctosys
  sleep $SMALLNUM
done

and writing to the hardware clock just after ntp does its thing.