Re: [SLUG] when you've got a 64 bit headache...

From: Sick Twist (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 15:45:18 EDT

>From: Mike Branda <realraccoon@tampabay.rr.com>
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: Re: [SLUG] when you've got a 64 bit headache...
>Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:17:37 -0400
>
>On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 22:07 -0400, Eben King wrote:

> > http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2005-Feb/3719.html concurs.

> > > Sounds logical. How often would he have to correct?
> >
> > It depends how accurate it needs to be. If there's another nearby
>machine
> > to use (I mean, on the same LAN), what the heck -- once every few
>seconds.
> > I believe ntpd "learns" how much the system clock can be expected to be
>off,
> > and apply an appropriate clock slew between updates.
> >
> > Also, if the hardware clock runs at the correct speed (or at least close
> > it), consider doing something like
> >
> > #! /bin/sh
> > while : ; do
> > hwclock --hctosys
> > sleep $SMALLNUM
> > done
> >
> > and writing to the hardware clock just after ntp does its thing.
> >

>While all this is fine and dandy for keeping the system time correct, it
>doesn't change the fact that everything else still goes at double rate.
>
>i.e. feedback icons, cursor rate, keypress repeat rate, and if you can't
>get your finger off a letter at superhero speeds, you get 4 or 5 of the
>letter when typing. I'm sure there's more but these are all issues.
>
>On to the update. I figured since Ubuntu supports the Radeon 200m and a
>lot of people are using it for 64bit I'd give that a try. Install was
>o.k. other than having to disable framebuffer for the installer. At the
>xdm login prompt I could tell right away that the cursor was still
>blinking fast. After username and passwd, a few things happen quickly
>and grrrind screeeech....the system completely locks up. Do not pass
>go, do not collect 200. This happens with both the regular 5.04 ubuntu
>and the kubuntu. I tried both. At least I could get a desktop
>environment with SuSE.
>

>Any other Ideas?? I'll try to get a better list of mobo/hardware model
>numbers as soon as I can. Pretty bust with work right now.
>
>Thanks again.
>

>Mike Branda Jr.

If Hoary is the version of Ubuntu that you tried, perhaps you should give
Breezy a go. It is still about two months before it is officially released
but I've been testing it the past couple days and have only encountered a
few minor problems. However, there will be a lot of package changes between
now and the October release so stability is not a sure thing.

-Jonathon