[SLUG] USB drives: removing and reconnecting

From: blee2@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 17:58:11 EDT

Does anyone know how to unmount, change (disconnect then reconnect),
and remount a USB drive (specifically, changing the SD card in an HP digital
camera, but keydrives apply too) USING THE COMMAND LINE under:

        Knoppix 3.X?
        Debian 3.0 (Woody)
        Debian 3.1 (Sarge)

More background if you want it:
I'm running Debian 3.0 on an AMD K6. It's age-ed, but suits my needs.
I run TWM as a really light window manager, and almost all of my work is
done from the command line.

A friend just gave me a USB card, but before I install it and recompile
my kernel, I want to know how to deal with the USB drives.

I spent some time last night on a different system running Knoppix 3.6
and am able to access the USB drive that my camera shows as, but wasn't
able to figure out how to change the card with out rebooting the whole thing.

I'm willing to upgrade to Debian 3.1 (woody) if I have to.

Thanks for any help.