Re: [SLUG] Multiple Users

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 22:35:33 EDT

On 8/18/05, Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> >> So I'm reading an article, and it mentions how using the shutdown
> >> command you can let all the people on your system know that you're going
> >> to shutdown...but my question is: how many people really have multiple
> >> users on their system doing stuff that they need to save, clean up,
> >> whatever? I keep seeing the theory, but where's the practice?
>
> > It's like that because Linux is modeled after Unix, the multi-user, CLI
> > OS from days of yore. I think the interesting problem is that system
> > messages such as that do not interact elegantly with the components that
> > make up today's GUI desktops (that is not to say that they couldn't,
> > only that they don't).
>
> LINUX has not been converted to the desktop computer yet, in my opinion.
> Most BIOS's will directly print it's screens to the first parallel
> port it finds, but LINUX printing only works for the first week after
> a fresh install for me, for unknown reasons, so I had to write my own bash
> script files to get by. I can get LPing working for a week at a time,
> but I can never get cups working. never Every improvement seems to
> enhance the complexity.
> We really need a simple text printing structure kind-a like M$DOS
> has had from the beginning, first.

Ron,
Not sure what you are using, but this SuSE runs out of the box, aim it at
the printer like Windoz, and off it goes, no it goes off faster the windows
print server is slower than warm asphalt.

I have Knoppix Live CD's and MEPIS that will talk to the printer right out of
the box as is, even a little ol' DSL Cd will do so, I am trying to
figure out what
kind of animal you are dealing with, by way Linux on the Desk Top is the only
way to go at least from the perspective of all of the viri floating around out
there. And for so many other reasons too.

--
Chuck Hast
To paraphrase my flight instructor;