Re: [SLUG] Were we dissed?

From: Pete Theisen (petet@acun.com)
Date: Sat Aug 20 2005 - 00:20:10 EDT

mark@bish.net wrote:

> You didn't ask her to help you install another crappy printer on your
> laptop I hope. That tends to drive people over the edge a little.
> :)

Hi Mark!

It was a bios setting. The bios was set to turn off the printer port
when the OS told it to.

Toshiba probably gets a couple of seconds more battery life with the
parallel port shut off. Big deal when you are plugged in all the time.

Every now and then I had to go to the dark side, however. When I did the
dark side shut off the parallel port. MEPIS evidently doesn't know about
this behavior and never turned it back on.

Once I got that bios setting changed the "crappy" printer was back to
it's wonderful non-crappy self. It is still fine, in darkness or light.

Regards,

Pete