Re: [SLUG] Evolution to Exchange

From: Steven Buehler (swbuehler@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 11:19:16 EDT

On Aug 22, 2005, at 9:07 AM, Chuck Hast wrote:

> I am going to put this questions just in case any of you have a
> good answer.
> The only real outstanding app that I need to use with Linux is the
> connect to
> the exchange server. Under the other OS of course we use Outlook, the
> connection is done using https on port 80.
>
> If anyone has set up Evolution to communicate with Exchange in this
> manner
> and can shed some light on it would certainly welcome any info.

Evolution requires Outlook Web Access on the Exchange Server side as
it uses the HTTP interface. Microsoft Entourage (the equivalent to
Microsoft Outlook on the Macintosh side) also works this way, as does
Apple Mail.

If Evolution is asking for a URL (I'm guessing since I don't have it
in front of me), it usually will work if you include /Exchange at the
end (i.e., https://mail.ems.att.com/Exchange in my case -- don't
bother trying to access that URL as it requires one to be on the
private network ;-) ). Login would be "domain\i.d." for your ID and
what you'd normally enter in Outlook for your Exchange server domain
password.

Also want to find out if it requires a secure connection (https://).

Hopefully once I get a Cisco VPN client running on one of my Linux
boxes I can try using Evolution to my company's exchange server from
my v/o (I've only tried it in an office to date).

Steven W. Buehler | steven@sanctuaryweb.org/swbuehler@yahoo.com
Web Page: http://www.sanctuaryweb.org | http://renaitre.iuma.com
Instant Messengers: stevenbuehlerfl (AIM) | swbuehler (Yahoo!/Skype™
VoIP) | stevenwbuehler@msn.com (MSN Msgr.) | 342601403 (ICQ)
PGP/GnuPG Key (for private messages): http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/
lookup?op=get&search=0xB6FAFE79