Re: [SLUG] wifi card driver

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Aug 28 2005 - 01:40:48 EDT

On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 12:55:15AM -0400, botteman wrote:

> Oh, I already have another question.
>

> One requirement for compiling the madwifi is this:
> 'target kernel needs to have sysctl support turned on'
>
> What's this mean? How duzz I do it?

There are two sysctls. You can check the man pages to find out more
about them (man 2 sysctl, man 8 sysctl). Essentially, they make it
possible to control kernel parameters while the kernel is running
(sysctl(2)) and at boot (sysctl(8)). Chances are that your kernel
already has this compiled in.

Without the source code for your kernel, there are only two ways I know
to find out if this is compiled in. First, in the /boot directory, there
probably is a config-xxxxx file which contains the parameters used to
compile your kernel. If you find it, look for a line that says:

CONFIG_SYSCTL=y

If you find that, it's compiled in. If that parameter is set to 'n',
then it's not compiled in. If there's no config file in the /boot
directory, then check /usr/src/linux to see if there's a file called
.config (yes, there's a dot before the name; it's a hidden file). It's
the same file.

If compiling the madwifi module entails running ./configure first, then
that step should check for this and fail or report an error if it
doesn't find it. I'd just try the compile and see what happens.

Paul